Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 20 - Today I am grateful for....Herriot House Veterinary Surgery

Today I am so grateful to Herriot House Veterinary Surgery.

My poor little Lily hurt her leg last night. After making a mad dash out the front door, she came flying back in just as quickly but whimpering and limping.

Frantically, Kathy & I attempted to locate a prickle or bite in her little foot, without success. The poor little poppet wouldn't put any weight on her little leg and was out of sorts all night. She wouldn't settle and was obviously in pain.

This morning, she hadn't gotten any better and I fought internally with myself as to whether I would wait until tomorrow to take her to the vet. My conscience and love for my dog won. And I whizzed her off to see Peter Knoble at Herriot House during my lunch hour.



To put things into perspective, Herriot House and more importantly, Peter Knoble, has been our family vet for well over 15 years. I can't tell you how thankful I've been to them on many occasion. The vet nurses are always cheerful and all of the vets are amazing.



When my little cat Bundy was hit by a car and was killed, they sent the most amazing poem and it has stayed with me all of my life...it's called The Rainbow Bridge:

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
  When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
No matter how many times I read this poem, I'm always close to tears. It brings back many happy memories of lost pets over the years and renewed joy that one day I will see them again.

When Charlie got a stick stuck in his 3rd eyelid (yes, that's correct), it was them I called immediately and they fit me in on a public holiday.

When I found an injured echidna, it was them I called at 1am in the morning for advice.

All of my family pets have always gone to Herriot House, and apart from nearly owning shares in the place, the Armstrongs are well known :-)

Every animal I've ever treasured as a pet, or otherwise, I've taken them to see Herriot House. I wouldn't take them anywhere else.

George is very convinced that Herriot House is a wonderland that has been created specifically for him. No matter if he's going for a needle, puppy preschool or to be desexed, he's so excited and knows exactly where the car is going. He flirts with all the girls and I'm quite convinced it would be the only other place apart from here, that he would happily call home.

So when I took Lily in today, Peter advised me that likely Lily had dislocated or sprained her knee cap. (This wouldn't be so funny if I didn't have the same affliction in my own stupid knees - pretty sure it's not hereditary). And here I was thinking she might have been bitten by a spider or had a prickle in her foot! But oh no, can't be simple. Meanwhile, she may have also torn some muscles and ligaments and really should get some rest.

Well, good luck getting her to rest. She's the busiest dog I know and when she has a Brother like George, rest is not an option.

So we'll see how she goes over the next week but I'm just glad she's OK.

And I'm uber-grateful for my local vet. I cannot sing their praises highly enough :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment