Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 5 - Today I am grateful for....My Mum & Dad

Today I am grateful for....My Mum & Dad

I feel it appropriate to gush that I have the best parents in the world because....I really do.

My parents, Jocelyn & David are the most amazing people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.


I am the splitting image of my Mother and whilst we are completely different in many ways, in so many other ways we are completely the same. She is loving & honest and strong. So strong. We share a wicked sense of humour and sarcastic wit. We are two peas in a pod and rarely go a day without talking. I carry her heart in my heart.

My Father is gentle, caring and kind. He is quiet and unassuming but has the most amazing sense of humour. We call him the garden gnome and I know now that I should have stuck to my guns and not deviated from the path of looking for a man as brilliant as my Dad. I think they broke the mould when they made him though, so I may be looking for Mr Wonderful for a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time yet.

I had a really happy childhood. I was comfortable. I was happy. I had fun. I was loved.

I'm technically an only child. I have an extended family of Half / Step Brothers & Sisters, whom I love but they are also much older than me. So for most of my life it was always just Mum, Dad, me & our animals, which was just fine with me. I was spoiled only with love.

I'm grateful that my home life was secure and sheltered. I love that my Parents came home every night and we ate dinner together. I love that my Parents held hands and loved each other every day. I love that they still do.

I love that my Parents never fought in front of me. I love that they never drank in front of me. I love that they never even said a swear word in front of me. I love that our home did not contain alcohol or drugs or violence. I love that my Parents spoke to me calmly and rationally and listened to me when I talked. I love that my Dad bought flowers home for my Mum every single week and still does. I love that they turn into pumpkins at 7pm because it meant they were home with me.

I believe that it is due to my safe and happy childhood that I am grounded and settled in life. I was treated as an adult when it was necessary and as a child when I was being a child. I was treated fairly and with respect at all times.

Boundaries were set for me and I rarely deviated from them. I didn't need to. What reason did I have to rebel when life was so good?

I know that there were times when I was a precocious brat when I was growing up. I know that I caused them enormous amounts of pain at times. I know there were times when they worried themselves sick about me. But they were always there. No questions. They were always there to pick up the pieces of my broken hearts and shattered dreams. As an adult, I feel enormous guilt for my poor behaviour at times but forgiveness has always been central to our home, as is unconditional love. Where else can you go in the world and receive that kind of acceptance? Home is where the heart is.

I'm not going to lie. I think parenting is possibly the hardest job in the world. I hope one day, when I am fortunate enough to find someone as amazing as my Dad and am blessed enough to have a relationship as special as my Mum & Dad, that I'm half the Parents' they are and have always been.

They have been there at my lowest lows, and my highest highs. They've cried with me, laughed with me and supported me through everything. The good decisions, the not so good. Every triumph. Every success. They rescue me when I need it. They step back when they know I need to do something on my own. They have faith in my capabilities and my choices. They love me. Just as I am. And I love them. Every day.

So today and every day, I am grateful for my parents. The most wonderful people that I know.

Love you Mum & Dad xxx

1 comment: