Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 119 - Today I am grateful for....No Name Brands

I am currently hooking into a Coles Brand Chicken Risotto for dinner and it is delicious! I'm a little bit shocked. Not sure what I was expecting.

I guess you could say I've always been a no name kid though. Food, clothes, furniture. I didn't care when I was young and I certainly don't care now.

I grew up shopping at Target and a Big W - so what? They have good stuff! I like simple basic clothes that I can mix and match with. I've never been a trendsetter nor a trend follower. I wear what suits me and I feel good in. And I definately love love love a bargain!

I've never been able to justify (or get my head around) spending so much money on things, just to say that it was a Gucci whatever or a D & G whatever. Or similarly if it is Sportsgirl or Polo Ralph Lauren. Whatever. Aside from the fact that I can't afford it, who actually cares? I certainly don't.

And these days, the knock offs are so close to the originals, that I can't tell what's what!

I'll admit that when overseas I purchased a knock off Jimmy Choo handbag and various other knock-offs but at the end of the day, it's just a bit of a lark isn't it? Image is apparently, everything.

It is the same with furniture, electrical goods, food, clothes, sunglasses, homewares....and so the list goes on.

But who decided that expensive was better in every instance?

There is a big misconception in our world that if it costs more then it must be better quality. I disagree. There are some things that can be just as good quality and half the price. Other things, well you really do get what you pay for (ie my $30 DVD player that I purchased from Silly Sollys in 2004 that caught fire....hmmmm). That said, on the flipside, things are just simply not made like they used to be either. So it's a bit of a catch 22. Do you pay extra for something that will likely last as long as or be just as good as something half the price? Well, yes.....I do.

Look at food though - Home Brand (like Coles / Woolworths etc) staples like flour, rice, pasta, milk, bread, toilet paper, soap etc are all excellent. I'll admit that sometimes it can be a hit and miss kind of deal when it comes to things like sauces or microwave meals etc but the good old staples are just fine. They come out of the same factory, just a different label! Although, at Aldi, well I just don't know where their stuff comes from - most of it is God awful!

You know, so many times in my job, I marvel at the lack of quality in things nowadays too. For example, ovens. They just don't make them like they used to! Long gone are the days where you buy an oven and expect it will last you 20 years. Some don't even last 2 years. It's a shame. I guess that's the money making game. Things are made cheaply to trick you into having to come back again in a short amount of time.

I make no apologies for bargain hunting. If something looks nice on, tastes good or looks lovely in your home, then what does it matter where it came from and who cares what it costs?

Likewise, the times that you are expecting to pay more for something and you end up stumbling upon a bargain - how can you lose? Those are the best kind of surprises!

There is however, no such thing as a knock off diamond or knock off Manolo Blahnik shoes. Sorry boys but a diamond is a diamond and Manolo's are Manolo's. The End. There are just some things in life that cannot be compromised on :)



But my name is not Sarah Jessica Parker, and I'm not getting married any time soon, so today I'll just be grateful for being down to earth and loving my no name brands! Grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment