Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 140 - Today I am grateful for....the nurses at The Red Cross Blood Bank

Tonight at The Red Cross Blood Bank began as any other night giving plasma with my girlfriend Tiffany.



I'd drunk enough water and I'd eaten enough food but for whatever reason, my body shut down half way through the procedure. Nothing like it has ever happened to me before.

I was happily chatting to Tiff and all of a sudden I started to feel really strange, like I was going to pass out. I told Tiff who called out for a nurse but it was too late....

The nurses were fabulous and they quickly altered how I was positioned and I was OK for a couple of minutes but by the time the nurse came to check on me again, it was worse.

It happened so fast. I couldn't move properly or talk and I was freezing cold. My eyes were heavy and it felt like I'd taken some serious serious sedative. They laid me flat in the chair and stopped the procedure immediately.

An oxygen mask was placed on my face plus blankets and heat packs.

The nurse didn't leave my side. It would be over an hour before I started to feel better.

Apparently my blood pressure was fine but my pulse quite slow. There is no other medical reason for my malaise except severe exhaustion. For whatever reason my body shut down because I was just bloody tired.

It was actually quite a scary thing to go through. I couldn't communicate and I felt trapped in my body. I couldn't comprehend what people were saying and pretty much all I could do was blink.

When I finally felt better again, I then had the guilts because I was unable to help someone fully as they had to stop midway.

But I am grateful for the lovely nurses and volunteers at The Red Cross Blood Bank - Toowoomba. Not a bad place to be when you pass out :-)

Grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment