Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 68 - Today I am grateful for....the safety of my loved ones

Monday, 10th January 2011, marked the blackest day in Toowoomba's History.



Hit with over 4 inches in under an hour, our roads turned to floodways, cars were demolished, homes washed away, businesses were devastated, people were stranded or evacuated, property destroyed and lives were lost.



Words cannot begin to describe the nightmare that has unfolded.



The magnitude of the loss in Toowoomba continues to rise at a collosal rate and with more rain on the way, how can our little town withstand it?



An "Inland Tsunami" they are calling it. WTF does that even mean?

So many lives were lost and countless more missing.


There is no food and little to no water. Our resources and emergency services are strained. People are frightened and stressed.

We live on a hill for God's sake - how does this even happen?

We have received literally hundreds of calls from desperately scared people whose homes have flooded. Roofs have leaked. Ceilings have collapsed. Water is coming up from the ground or there is no water at all. There is no power. Sewerage is running through some places.


I personally have been working around the clock with some of the people I work with, in order to try and assist those in need. I'm tired and stressed and frightened myself.

My own house flooded. My roof leaked, my carpets are soaking wet and I was without power myself for 24hrs.

But....

I am alive.

My kids are safe and alive.

My parents are safe and alive.

My friends are safe and alive.

My colleagues are safe and alive.

I am surely more fortunate than so many other people. Houses can be fixed. People can't.

So today I choose to be grateful for the safety of my loved ones. To all of you, I love you very much xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment