Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 80 - Today I am grateful for....Humility

I finally ventured down the range a little way on Saturday afternoon, to Murphy's Creek.

It's the first time I've been able to actually go down and see first hand the devastation that Mother Nature inflicted on my treasured Heaven's Gate.



I am stunned.

And humbled.

What was once picturesque beauty is now flattened trees, huge cavernous holes and destruction. Little creeks are now massive running rivers. Car bodies litter the landscape and where there was once beautiful bushland, there are mountains which have caved in, roads washed away, and houses flattened to the ground. To see the process of evolution sped up to a matter of minutes, instead of millions of years, has really sat me on my bum.

My beloved friend Andrea and her family (my adopted family) live in Murphy's Creek. She has lived with and survived the obliteration of the sleepy little country town she calls home.

Attached, is an email that she sent to me the weekend on January 15th 2011, 5 days after the blackest day in our history.....

To all,

Just a little note to let everyone know how we are holding up here in “the creek”.  Help has finally arrived… centrelink, salvos, rural fireies from all over, army, police, road gangs, energex, health workers, ambos, councillors, the whole shooting match.  The word is we won’t have power here for at least a month.  So we have been living out of eskies, and off bbq plates.  We are holding up well under the circumstances.

As for the mess…… words are too kind to the devastation – it’s something we are all trying to come to terms with.  Those who lived through it are still in a state of shock, and say we have no idea what it was like, and those of us who were still up in town when it hit at around 1.30pm were in a state of panic too – wondering what had happened to our families and homes.  The mud is starting to pong, and the cleanup is finally getting underway.  Where to start is bewildering.  It is like a bomb has gone off, Grantham being called ground zero.  And we are part of the medias’ renaming of the Lockyer now known as “death valley” (nothing short of insulting). We helped one of our friends go through their house on Wednesday, they have lost everything.  A very sobering task, the impact beyond comprehension.  Mother nature sure did a number on us!  The power of water is never to be underestimated…. Cars washed downstream and miles from where they belong, debris is wrapped around trees at amazing heights.  The railway line is just washed away…..  houses simply gone, leaving just a slab or stumps as a timely reminder of why dwellings should never be built so close to a creek.  But who can tell?  There is a large poly tank sitting on the rail line outside our place, and an industrial bin across the road, both travelled about a kilometre down from the hall and rural fire brigade.                                                                                                                              
We were some of the lucky ones.  A few inches of mud washed through the under our house and a crap load of mould/mildew to clean off the walls is nothing to even mention compared to the untold anguish of others.  “The creek”, it’s residents and it’s watery journey will never be the same again.  And so we turn the page and keep going.  Upward and onward.   We have a generator, hot water, food and a bed to sleep in, thanking our lucky stars every day that we were spared.  So we try to help physically as well as mentally, our treasured friends and neighbours as we all band together, sharing our homes, food, experiences and friendship.

Please accept from the bottom of our hearts the thanks and appreciation of your concern and worry.  It is very humbling and knowing that you are all there.  And also the those of you who I haven’t heard from, I just wanted to let you know firsthand how it is here.  I am sure I will be in contact with you soon.  stay safe,

Peace, love, happiness,

Andrea.

How do you begin to even imagine what you might walk in to after receiving that? But my darling Andiee is never ever one to complain.

She mentioned to me that people were volunteering at the school on the weekend to help the kids get back on Monday, so I thought I would head down after work and see what I could do.

Turns out they didn't need my help at the school but Andrea's family home did. And so I donned my plastic gloves and house shirt and proceeded to de-mould her beautiful home. I kind of felt a little bit useless but apparently I did an alright job. And to think she wasn't going to let me do it! Ha! I showed her.

It's about time that she let someone help her! She's so kind and thoughtful and giving, that even though it was a small thing, I was glad that I was able to help, even a little bit.



Save for the giant spider that I collected on my sponge, which tried to eat me, I came out unscathed :-)

And so today I am grateful for the safety of my friends, and for the humility of realising that there are things in life that are bigger than me and that I must assist in life whenever I can. Because that is just what you do for the love of a friend x

1 comment:

  1. now i am the humbled one! my post about "the creek" was merely a note to let every one know how we were, and to put my treasured ones' minds at ease. little did i know the impact it really had. we were some of the lucky ones with damage that can only be described as small potatoes, for which i am grateful, so we have been helping those we know and love, even if their pride is in the way. upward and onward. i love you leahbelle. mwah. xoxo

    ReplyDelete