Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 84 - Today I am grateful....I am Australian!

Today is Australia Day and frankly there is nowhere in the world I would rather be.

We are one.
But we are many.
And from all the lands on earth we come.
We share a dream
And sing with one voice.
I am.
You are.
We are....Australian.

After an epic and tragic few weeks, it is lovely to be able to celebrate being an Australian and remember why we love our heritage and where we come from.

I'd not really planned to do very much today but when I woke up and the sky was blue and it was already hot - so Australia - it kind of spurred a feeling inside. Bring on the Beer & BBQ with friends (minus the beer for the boring girl over here) I say!



Little Georgie was having an Australia Day BBQ and so I ventured out of my little hermit house and headed over. My goodness! What a bunch of proud Aussies were celebrating there! Barely midday and they were already three sheets to the wind and loving it. Armed with Australian flags and temporary tattoos we were ready to celebrate!. It was so cute to see all of them in their carefully planned outfits. It was really special.



From there I headed over to Jason's house for a little more Aussie Day goodness. Whilst the outfits were by no means comparable, the Aussie Spirit sure was. Snags on the BBQ and me with my Coke, I had a really lovely day.

There is a lot to be said for catching up with friends to celebrate your nationality. The only other people in the world that know how to do it like us are possibly the Irish....lol

I love being Australian. I love everything about it. I love the freedom. I love the freedom of speech. I love the familiarity. I love the casual nature. I love our humour. I love BBQ's and thongs. I love the beauty of our sunburnt land. I love that we are just an awesome and amazing people. I love our country and I'm uber proud to call Australia home.

And so today, and every day, I'm grateful that I am Australian.

No comments:

Post a Comment