Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 34 - Today I am grateful for....not having to cook dinner.

Look, I'm not going to lie. I very rarely cook these days.

Call it laziness. Call it whatever you want but my passion for cooking left after my Husband did.

I loved being a Wife. I loved everything about it. The cooking. The cleaning. The nurturing.

 Our home was always lovely, and we entertained constantly. There were always people everywhere. I used to make him sweet things to take for his lunch and we used to cook dinner together. My kitchen was very central to our lives. Happy faces, lots of laughs, full bellies and good times. Those were the days....

I used to even have our meals planned out a week ahead, so I could make sure that we had something yummy in our bellies every night. I thought it was great. I didn't have to think about what to cook. I could buy groceries in advance. We always knew what we were having and it was always different. Turns out my Ex-Husband HATED that I used to do that. In fact he told me that hated me being so organised. Full stop. To the extreme of wanting to rip every calendar in our house down.

Well, whatever. I'm organised. I'm a list maker. I like calendars. Too bad. Things get done.

But these days, I rarely cook at all. And frankly there is no point in cooking for one person. So I just don't.

I'm all for constructive cristicism. Perhaps, absentmindedly, I took this issue to heart and just stopped being so organised at home. My house is still clean but I stopped cooking and I certainly stopped planning meals. In fact, I stopped cooking at all. The microwave and I are good friends now.

But you know, there are some nights where I just couldn't even be bothered throwing anything in the microwave. I want someone else to cook for me. And they did tonight.

I had Pasta Place. It was good. I'm feeling pretty full now though.

I like the fact that there is nothing for me to clean up. There are no leftovers for me to remember to take for lunch tomorrow. I didn't cook it so I can complain about it as much as I like. If I eat too much, I can't blame it on not wanting to waste anything. If I get sick, I can blame someone else for that too. The only downside that I can really see is financial.

But you know what, sometimes takeaway is cheaper than fresh fruit and vegies. Groceries can cost an arm and a leg. Let's face it, things aren't getting cheaper in life. And really, you pay for convenience eating out.

It's nice for a change though, to not have to eat a microwave dinner.

So tonight, I'm really grateful that I didn't have to cook. Because after the day I've had, I just didn't want to...

No comments:

Post a Comment