Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 51 - Today I am grateful for....Random Acts of Kindness

I received the most amazing bunch of flowers today. In fact, it was a dozen long stemmed red roses.



The note read....."Told you Santa was a good friend of mine. Don't ever forget what a great person you are. Hope you and your family have a happy and safe Christmas. Merry Christmas, Anthony".

I've been feeling pretty down lately. I'm not sure why. I guess it's just that time of year. I've been trying really hard to get into the spirit of things but some memories just end up kicking me in the a*se. I can't help but wonder if that pain will ever leave me but it just doesn't seem to feel like Christmas, no matter how hard I try? Maybe it's the memories of my Husband leaving me at Christmas? Maybe it's the lack of sunshine and heat? Maybe it's the fact that all of the rain has made my working life a nightmare? Maybe it's the lack of Christmas Cheer in everyone? Or maybe it's the lack of a significant other to share the fun with? I don't know. It just doesn't feel right. I wonder if it ever will again....

So to have received my favourite thing in the whole world today, flowers, really made me smile.

My old friend, Anthony was joking around with me last night that he was good friends with the Jolly Fat Guy in the Red Suit! He wasn't joking. Apparently I've been a good girl this year.....

I honestly thought we were just talking rubbish as we often do. I had no idea that he would actually send me flowers. It was so random and unexpected but so thoroughly exactly what I needed.

Anthony and I have been friends for over 12 years. I don't even really know exactly how we became friends but I guess it was through Uni. He moved to Sydney and had two beautiful children and has since moved back up to Brisbane. We hadn't talked in a long time but over the past 12 months, we kind of stumbled across each others paths again and the rest is history. Almost every day, he sends me a text asking me how I am. He's very sweet and thoughtful like that. I, on the other hand, am completely useless on text and it can take me some time to reply. I read all messages that I receive from everyone but sometimes I then get distracted....whoops!

There is so much to be said for random acts of kindness. The good deeds in life that make someone else feel special. Just like a thoughtful gesture, a random act of kindness can really make your heart sing. But it's such a surprise that you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Like when a girlfriend pays for your dinner unexpectedly or when a friend steals your car and cleans it as a surprise for you or when you receive a text from someone just because they've been thinking of you. It's the times where you are so caught off guard.

So today, I'm so thankful for the random act of kindness that you have shown me today. Merry Christmas xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment