Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 45 - Today I am grateful for....Christmas Movies

I had a really busy day today.

I whizzed down to the Gold Coast for a couple of hours and then tried to fit in a little bit of Christmas shopping and cleaning of my house.

I made myself some dinner and then I sat down and re-wrapped my Christmas presents that were ruined the other night. Thankfully most of the presents are OK, it's just the wrapping that met a sorry end....


To get myself in the Christmas spirit, I put on a Christmas movie. The Holiday.

Ahhhhh.....Jude Law. How I love thee....It's made me even more convinced that my Prince Charming just doesn't live in Australia.

A psychic once told me that I would marry an English man and move to England and have two sons. I would move back to Australia when the boys were 10 & 11 respectively. The same psychic also told me that I would be offered a scholarship to study at Oxford University......hmmmm.

But back to the task at hand....Christmas movies.

There are many movies that I love that involve Christmas. From Miracle on 34th Street, to the Grinch, to Home Alone to The Family Stone, to the Holiday. I don't know what it is about them. Perhaps it's the snow? Perhaps it's the happy times that people appear to have, aside from the epic drama that unfolds around them? Perhaps it's the real Christmas Trees? Perhaps it's the hot Christmas dinners that I believe I can almost smell through the TV? I'm not sure what it is or why I think it, but it kind of epitomises Christmas, for me at least.

One day I will have a cold Christmas. Just myself. Somewhere brilliantly cold and snowing. With a massive real Christmas tree and an open fire place. Bliss.



One day I will see the Christmas Tree in Rockafeller Centre in New York City. One day I will drink eggnog in front of a fireplace in London. One day....

But for now, given that I live in Australia (potentially the hottest or wettest place on earth, depending where you are), I will have to continue to live vicariously through my TV screen and into the lives of fictional Christmases and characters.

So today I'm grateful for some escapism so close to Christmas :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment