Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 46 - Today I am grateful for....a Christmas Miracle

Tonight marked the occasion of my inaugural Christmas Party.

We had lots of amazing food and lots of laughs. I'm quite confident that everyone ate too much but I think everyone had a good time.

I love spending time with my friends and they are not unlike family to me. It's Christmas and everyone is happy. It's a special time and time for me to thank the wonderful people in my life, for sharing my life with me.



However, the night took a sinister end when friends of mine were driving home and were attacked in their car.

Very quickly we were at the scene to find the very distraught family close to tears but unharmed.

Driving home, they had slowed down to avoid hitting teenagers running all over the road, and their car was attacked by said youths with obviously nothing better to do with their time. Smashing a letterbox into the passenger window, they terrorised the daylights out of the innocent child in the backseat, not to mention her terrified parents in the front.

I'm not going to lie, I was frightened driving there after receiving the call. I wasn't sure what we were going to find. Although they said they were OK, it's the panic in your heart that doesn't let up until you see them for yourself, that is the worst.

Although clearly shaken up, they were thankfully OK. It could have been so much worse. But it wasn't.

As I stood there and watched; the police took statements, the WIN news filmed away, the ambulance came, more police came, the little girl cried and I couldn't help but wonder where the parents of the children who caused this unnecessary havoc, were? What on earth would possess someone to intentionally try to hurt or injure an innocent family? Are they so bored with life that they would consider that sport? I just can't begin to even fathom it.

Toowoomba seems to have taken a massive turn for the worst recently. The gangs and violence astound me. Our quiet, sleepy little town has turned into a breeding ground for thugs and hooligans.

Only a couple of months ago, a girlfriend of mine was beaten whilst taking a run at night. Again, thankfully, she was OK. Bruised and battered but alive.

My little flatmate, Kathy isn't a fan of the police. And I know a lot of people aren't. But I'm OK with them. I'd much rather have them on my side. I believe they do what they can with the limited resources that they have. Yes, there are the bad ones, the unreasonable ones, the unfair ones, the corrupt ones but they're not all like that. Everyone's been pulled over for speeding in their driving lifetime, but you know what? That's their job. And frankly, if I'm speeding, then so be it. Although, I'm grumpy at the time, I do deserve it! I do think that their response time sometimes is poor, but they were right on tap tonight. They had the dogs out and there seemed to be policemen everywhere. Good!

But seriously, what is the world coming to? I'll never understand the violence in society today. I'll never understand the mindset for anyone to want to hurt another person. It's a completely different world to the one I grew up in. The one where children were safe playing in the street with their friends. The one where it was safe to walk home at night time by yourself. The one where being bored on a Sunday night, meant going to bed early. The one where hanging out with your friends meant playing board games.

Is it any wonder that I want to lock my children in the attic and home school them? I have said it many times in jest, but seriously, when the world around us is in such a dismal state, at least I would know that they are safe, not taking drugs or being exposed to things that they don't need to be exposed to so young and they would be educated. Although fanatical, it's quickly becoming a very tempting idea....

But for now, I thank God and am so grateful that my friends are safe and unharmed. A genuine Christmas Miracle. Love you xxx

1 comment: