Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 41 - Today I am grateful for....Music

Tonight I'm going to see Bon Jovi.

I'm a little bit excited.



Not only are they one of my favourite bands, but they are one of the greatest bands ever!

I love music.


I'm musically challenged in terms of being able to play an instrument and I can't sing but I try. I'll never be a rock star but that's OK by me.

I've got a very broad taste in music. I love everything from Pavarotti, to Linkin Park, to Muse, to AC/DC, to Pink, to The Dixie Chicks and everything in between. I have a very broad and eclectic taste. I love Top 40. I love classical. I love country. I love rock.

I don't love Jazz, the blues, Scandanavian death metal or heavy rock. I like songs where you can hear the words and they mean something.


Old friends of mine who are extremely musically talented were in a band and I went to nearly every gig they played. I even managed them for a time. Mainly country, both girls were exceptionally talented and could sing and play a guitar like nobody's business! They released a CD together and one of them has since released a solo EP. I enjoyed many a fun time following them to the Tamworth Country Music Festival and to various gigs around QLD / NSW. It was a really special time in my life.

Music also really helped me when my Husband left. Whilst my taste in music at that time was sad, lost love kind of stuff, it really helped me. I didn't listen to any music in my home, just in my car to and from work. That was enough to get me through. I especially loved Jessica Mauboy and Gina Horswood. Both of these girls sang songs that I could almost swear mirrored my life. I would play the same songs over and over and over. I'd cry and sing my little heart out. It was cathartic at the time.

I've been to see a number of big bands in my lifetime, including Michael Jackson, Oasis, Pink, The Dixie Chicks, AC/DC, Keith Urban and now Bon Jovi. I love good live music. I'd have given my arm to see U2 but it just was horrible timing so I'll have to wait for another time.


I love music so much that we even planned our entire Europe Tour in 2009 around a Pink concert. It was worth it but flying a long haul flight from NYC, arriving in Brisbane at 6:30am for a concert that night was an epic mission. Enjoyable but we nearly fell asleep during the concert!

I am obviously one of the many millions of people who were devastated by the loss of Michael Jackson. And I'm not ashamed to say it. Frankly, I didn't know the man. I cannot comment on his lifestyle choices or his personality. I can only say that he was one of the most talented musicians in the world. His concert was amazing and I remember it clearly. I was in Barcelona, Spain when the news filtered across the world to us of his tragic passing and I was really sad. Noone can deny the man's talent.

So today, I'm grateful for Music. Although not musically blessed, I enjoy it and I think I always will.....

No comments:

Post a Comment